SEN Information Report

SEN (Special Education Needs) Information Report

1. Who are the best people to talk to about my child’s special educational needs, disability or difficulties with learning or if I have a concern?

  • You can talk to your child’s class teacher, or any of the adults in the classroom, about your concerns.
  • It is likely that your child’s class teacher will discuss your concerns with one of our Special Education Needs Coordinators (SENCo), Hattie for Early Years children or Wendy for children in Year 1-6. You may wish to arrange a meeting, if your concerns are ongoing.

2. How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning, special educational need or disability?

  • Your child’s class teacher may initially speak to you at the beginning or the end of a normal school day and arrange a further time to discuss their concerns identified in the classroom setting.
  • The class teacher may also talk to you about any issues at our termly parents’ and carers’ open evenings.
  • The class teacher will also highlight concerns to the SENCo who will provide advice and stratgeis to the class staff. The class teacher may be also asked to make a referral to one of the school’s targeted services offered by the Inclusion Team or PDC (Pupil Development Centre staff). The SENCo may contact you and arrange a meeting to discuss your child’s difficulties with learning and any possible support or strategies we might be considering.

3. How will the school consider my views and those of my child with regard to his/her difficulties with learning, special educational need, disability or medical needs?

  • All school staff will be available for you to talk to at the beginning and end of the school day.
  • You will be able to share your views and discuss your child’s progress at parents’ and carers’ open evenings every term.
  • You can also arrange to meet with your child’s class teacher, or any other appropriate staff member, to share your views at any time throughout the year.
  • If a class teacher has a possible SEN concern about a child in their class, a school referral can be made after discussing with you, which will be followed up by the inclusion team including PDC staff and SENCo who will speak with the individual child and further discuss any particular difficulties they may be experiencing, Parents will also be contacted if there is an identified concern at this stage and suggest a meeting with you.
  • Where external services or specialist are already involved with a child or family a Team around a Child (TAC) meeting can be arranged as appropriate in consultation with parents.
  • If your child has a Statement of special educational needs or an Education, Health and Care plan (EHCP) you and your child will be able to share your views at the Annual Review. Children are consulted individually about their learning and any difficulties they may be experiencing by staff in the classroom.
  • If your child has medical needs the school should be informed and an appointment can be arranged with the school nurse to discuss needs and medication with you if necessary.

4. How does Rye Oak Primary School ensure that the teaching staff are appropriately trained to support my child’s special educational needs and/or disability/medical needs?

  • At Rye Oak, we believe that your child’s learning needs will first be met through high quality teaching delivered by his/her class teacher.
  • We regularly review the school training schedule and professional development for all teaching and support staff to ensure there is the appropriate expertise to support children with special educational or medical needs.
  • The school is able to access a wide variety of training opportunities through Southwark. Additional individual staff training is also arranged as appropriate.

5. How will the curriculum and the school environment be matched to my child’s needs?

  • We carefully plan and thoroughly differentiate our curriculum to match the age, ability and needs of all children.
  • The class teacher will adapt lesson planning and teaching to match your child’s special educational needs and/or disability.
  • It may be appropriate to adopt different strategies or resources and adapt outcomes to meet your child’s learning needs.
  • Additional specialist advice is sought when appropriate and, when necessary, accessibility aids and technology may be used to support your child’s learning.
  • The school has a lift and disabled toilets

6. How do you assess pupils’ progress/test arrangements for pupils with SEN?

  • The class teacher and other staff working with your child will ensure that your child receives appropriate teaching and support in order to progress. Pupils are informally assessed as daily practice to plan for children’s next learning steps and half termly. Learning progress will be formally reviewed and assessed termly.
  • External agencies and specialists may also review your child’s progress and planning is adapted accordingly based on their expertise. Interventions will be put in place to support specific areas of difficulty based on specialist advice.
  • All children receiving intervention will have their progress tracked, not only through our usual assessment procedures, but towards specific targets that they are set as part of the additional provision they are receiving.
  • Test and exam arrangements for SEN pupils are made on an individual basis depending on a child’s type or level of SEN need.  

7. What types of SEN support may be suitable and available for my child?

This really depends upon the nature of your child’s needs and difficulties with learning. Our provision is designed to match the needs of the child across the four broad areas of additional need, as defined in the Special Education Needs Code of Practice 2015;

  • Cognition and Learning
  • Communication and interaction
  • Social, emotional and mental health
  • Sensory and/or physical needs

At Rye Oak, we have a 3 tiered approach to supporting children’s learning;

Universal: This is the quality first teaching your child will receive from his/her class teacher and may include some minor adaptations planned to match learning needs.                                                                                                                                                                   

Targeted: It may be appropriate to consider making additional provision to remove or reduce any obstacles to a child’s learning. This takes the form of a graduated four part approach after identification of                                                                                                               

a) assessing your child’s needs,                                                                                                                                                    

 b) planning the most effective and appropriate intervention,   This may include some targeted intervention sessions by the Inclusion Team outside the class environment or external specialist assessment, based on a child’s particular need  and specialist assessment.  Children and parents are consulted by Inclusion Team members prior to the start of a targeted intervention.                                                                                                   

c) providing this intervention and                                                                                                                                                  

 d) reviewing the impact on your child’s attainment and progress.                                                                                                                              

Specialist – It may be necessary to seek specialist advice and regular long term support from a specialist professional outside of the school in order to plan for the best possible learning outcomes for your child. This may include an Educational Psychologist, Speech and Language Therapist, Occupational Therapist, Advisory teacher or a member of the Early Help team. For a small number of pupils, access to these specialists may be through a Statement of SEN or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).

The school currently has 24 Statements/EHCP’s with an additional 3 EHCP’s in process. This includes 18 pupils who have a placement in our ASC Resource Base which is currently full.  

8. How is additional support allocated to children and how do they move between the different levels of support in school?

  • Rye Oak receives some extra funding from the local authority. These funds include money to support the learning of children with SEN and/or disabilities.
  • The Head teacher and the SENCo discuss the effectiveness of the school’s current interventions and provisions and develop an action plan, which may include additional or alternative interventions, staff training and equipment needs.
  • This additional provision is then reviewed for progress after an agreed time.
  • If it is considered beneficial, a possible referral to a specialist service is discussed with parents or carers to access additional advice to support your child’s learning progress.
  • With specialist advice a child’s needs it may be considered to benefit from a EHC statutory assessment to support their education and learning progress. This may lead to your child being provided with  an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).

9. What is an EHC (Education Health and Care) Plan and who can request one for my child?

The purpose of an EHC Plan, which replaces a Statement of SEN, is to make special education provision to meet the special educational needs of a child or young person, to secure improved outcomes for him/her across education, health and social care and, as he/her gets older, prepare for adulthood (SEND Code of Practice 2015) An EHC Plan will contain;

  • the views and aspirations of you and your child,
  • a full description of his/her special educational needs and any health, community and independence and social care needs,
  • establish outcomes for your child’s progress,
  • specify the provision required and how education, health and social care will work together to meet your child’s needs and support the achievement of the agreed outcomes

You and/or the school (usually the SENCo), can request that the local authority conduct an assessment of your child’s needs. This may lead to an EHC Plan. This request would be made if previous targeted and specialist support has proved ineffective at supporting your child to progress.

Further guidance and advice can also be accessed through Southwark Information Advice Service (SIAS).

Telephone 0207 525 3104 to make an appointment to visit their office at 160 Tooley Street, London, SE1 2TZ,  or talk to an advisor on the phone. Email address is

10. How will the school know that the support has made a difference to my child’s learning and how can my child and I be included in this review process?

  • The impact of the support given is carefully measured to ensure that the learning outcomes have been achieved and if not, what adaptations are necessary. It may be decided that a further period of support would be beneficial for your child.
  • Your child’s progress is also measured as part of our regular assessment procedures.
  • You and your child will be kept informed and encouraged to be actively involved at all stages of this support.
  • If your child has received additional provision, the member of staff delivering that provision will meet with you at the end of each term to complete a review together.
  • If your child has a SEN statement or EHCP then learning progress and outcomes will be reviewed at an annual review meeting in the school along with class teacher regular assessment and reviews.

11. What support will there be for my child’s well-being at Rye Oak Primary School?

  • All members of staff at Rye Oak take children’s happiness and well-being very seriously.
  • At Rye Oak, we support children’s well-being as part of our everyday ethos.
  • Where children may be having particular difficulties with their emotional well-being, we are able to provide counselling, mentoring, social skills support, friendship groups, nurture sessions, family support and behaviour support.
  • You should also feel free to contact your child’s class teacher if you have any concerns.
  • Children are consulted about any emotional difficulties that they may have on any particular day. This is initially identified and picked up by the class teacher or learning support assistant in the classroom, but staff offering more personalised social and emotional support on a 1:1 basis, is always available throughout the day. 

12. How is my child included in all the same activities as his/her peers at school?

  • Rye Oak is an inclusive school and committed to providing equal opportunities for all children.
  • School clubs, educational visits and residential trips are available to all children.
  • When necessary the school will make reasonable adjustments to ensure that children with SEN and/or disabilities are included in all activities. The school has a lift and disabled toilet facilities.
  • We also run a breakfast club and after school club which all pupils are able to apply for.

13. Inclusive Admissions Statement

We believe that the admissions criteria should not discriminate against pupils with SEN and has due regard for the practice advocated in the Code of Practice, in that;

  • All schools should admit pupils already identified as having special educational needs, as well as identifying and providing for pupils not previously identified as having SEN. Pupils with special educational needs or EHCP’s but without statements must be treated as fairly as all other.

14. How will Rye Oak support my child during difficult transitions?

  • When children first join Rye Oak, we liaise closely with the school or nursery your child is transferring from. We will discuss with the relevant teachers any individual needs and how best to support your child in school.
  • While at Rye Oak, we take care to ensure that during transition points (between classes each year and at the end of Key Stages) all staff are aware of individual pupil’s needs, learning, progress and any support strategies.
  • At Rye Oak, we make arrangements to ensure that there is a smooth transition when your child transfers to his/her next school or secondary school of choice. We can also support with identifying possible school choices and school visits. Please contact us for further details.
  • If your child has an EHC Plan or a Statement of SEN, we will participate and/or facilitate its review in sufficient time prior to him/her moving between key phases of education. You will be kept informed of these arrangements and asked to attend the reviews. Individual meetings can be arranged between parents, carers, pupils and SEN inclusion staff between both schools to ensure a smooth transition and that any pre-planning can be done ahead of the child’s arrival.

15. Southwark ‘Local Offer’ services for children and families including SEN and disabled children

Information about the Southwark services on offer to support children and families across the local authority 0-25 years,  including leisure activities, can be accessed via Southwark’s Local Offer website.

Further information on Southwark Local Authority services available to support parents, carers, children and young people go to:

Southwark Local Offer Website

16. If I have any other questions about my child or the school, who can I ask?

At Rye Oak, we are very happy to speak to you about any aspect of your child’s education. It is best to speak to one of the following;

  • Your child’s class teacher.
  • Year group Learning Leaders and Assistant Heads; Rob HynemanGlyn HawkeKatherine Stowar or Sophie Clyne 
  • SENCOs - Wendy Thangarajah (Yrs 1-6) or Hattie Quinan (EYFS)
  • Deputy Head teacher. Claire Eastwood
  • The Head teacher, Manda George.

To contact the school to arrange an appointment either speak directly to the school office staff or telephone 0207 639 3914.